Such a difficult book for me to rate and review. I finished it about a day and a half ago and I'm still not sure how I feel about it.
For all of you who are wondering if this book is better than the past two, which I thought were pretty bad, the last one especially, then please know that Dead Reckoning isn't bad, there's a lot going on, even though at the beginning it was a bit slow, but the story is interesting. It's much better than the last two, but at this point I don't think we'll ever get the same as we did at the beginning of the series. Too much has happened.
I'm a little biased about this series as it was one of the first series I started reading and I've always loved it. It's always been an automatic buy as soon as it comes out, and to be honest, it will continue to be.
What I liked
* Pam. She's at the top of my list of characters I loved in this book. She deserves to be happy! She keeps going through tough times, and Eric just keeps dragging her along with all his decisions.
* Eric. For a while in the book it shows us an Eric that cares for Sookie, even loves her, and is willing to forgive anything. Of course it helps that he likes monkey sex on swings.
* Bad guys from the past. We're still dealing with Victor, but Sookie has a little side surprise of someone else who's after her.
* We finally find out how Sookie became a telepath, as well as more of the fairy background story.
* Hunter. He's just adorable and needs to be loved and understood.
* Bubba!. I was so excited to see that Bubba was back, even though it was for such a short time.
What I didn't like
* Alcide. That's all I'll say about this. He's at the top of my WTH moments in this book. He just pissed me off. And there was no need (whatsoever) to go there.
* Amelia. This actually upsets me, because she's always been a character that I like throughout the series, and I just wanted to punch her face.
* Sookie. Yes, Sookie annoyed me most of the time in this book. Why are you having such an issue with dealing with all these supernatural things after everything you've been through? Like you could ever go back to just being a normal human, working your normal job and hanging out with normal friends? YOU'RE A TELEPATH AND YOU'RE PART FAIRY! And you have 2 fairies living with you. She just kept whining throughout this book. And then she goes and does something on a whim...
* Eric. Yes, he's on both lists. So what we find out towards the end, and how he's dealing, or better yet, not dealing with, just pisses me off. In a way, I can't expect different, he is staying true to character.
Who I still hate
There's only one here! Bill. I don't care how you want to wrap him up and present him as a suitable HEA for Sookie I just don't want to see his face, and he's always the opportunistic vampire to come "when needed".
The relationship between Sam and Sookie is also strenghtened in this book, and that's ok for me, as I've always seen them as good friends.
This book ties a lot of lose ends, but at the same time presents so many new ones that I really don't know where it can all go from here, I think I have more questions than when I started it. And quite honestly, I don't think the ending to this big mess will be where I wanted the story to go. As I said before, this is still an automatic buy for me.